Skip to main content

Taking a Break

Around the middle of January, I decided to give something up; social media. It wasn't a difficult decision. After years and years of it consuming a huge part of my life and my constant need to have my phone on me at all times made it clear. I needed to stop. Part of it was because I just felt like it was taking over my life. Another reason was that I just relied on it so much to provide some sort of comfort in knowing what people were always up to.

Facebook was always my least favorite and initially was meant to update and connect with family in Mexico and close friends. Well, it turned into more than that and it became a negative source for me over time. I had already deleted my original account and created a new account with only a few select family and friends, but I hastily decided that I needed to rid of it altogether. Next was Instagram. I loved Instagram because it allowed me to share the pictures I took, which I absolutely love to do. But with all the new updates over the years, I decided to step away from it because I found myself on it constantly. Always living vicariously through others photos and constantly comparing my life to others.

Twitter is the only one I didn't delete or deactivate. The reason is that it is probably the only one that I feel so emotionally connected to because I've actually met some cool people through there. I can't seem to quite let it go. I'll admit, I have logged onto my account on various occasions, but only for a minute or two. I don't feel the need to stay on it for too long or even tweet. It's currently private and I don't know if I will be active on it or not anytime soon.

So far, for the past couple of weeks without social media, I've felt a lot freer. I felt like it was holding me down because I constantly needed to know what people were up to. It felt very much like a stalker in the sense that we have a way to track people almost all the time. That's our main form of communication now. Always knowing what people are up to. I know it's not all bad. I know people use it to promote themselves and I may even need to go back to it if I need to promote myself one day. But for now, I can do without it. I can do without the need to stay up to date. I can do without the constant updating. I can do without my phone. Not entirely, of course. You never know when you will need it for an emergency or just to text or call. But I can be fine without constantly checking it.

Sometimes you have to look around you and eliminate everything that's making you feel like you've lost a part of yourself. You need to take a moment and focus on the things that truly matter. Change is necessary even if it's a small change.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Website

I published my website about a month ago. All my new content will be published there. Feel free to visit: To Write With Passion I hope to see you there. Monse

Positivity

Do you ever wish you could reach out to someone to tell them some good news, but this person is no longer in your life and you have no way of communicating because you deleted all forms of communication long ago? Because at the time, you were so angry and hurt. I'm sure we all go through this at one point or another.                                         *** It's been a little over 9 months. And in the past couple of weeks, the year is slowly shaping out to be a good year. I was able to go on vacation for a week and a half and it was one of my favorite vacations I've been on. The first few days were completely liberating since I went off to Texas completely alone. I met some great people there, saw some amazing sights, and never truly felt alone during my time in both San Antonio and Austin. Then I went off to Orlando with my best friend to celebrate our 13 years of friendship. It's actually amazing how fast the year is going by now that things are starting to

Happiness

You may think the title is a mistake, but it's not. This is a happy blog post. And I don't just mean a positive one. I mean, it's genuinely about me being happy. It's crazy. And I know this happiness may not be long lasting. But all I know is that in this moment, I feel happy. I accomplished some things that I didn't think I would be able to accomplish this week. I conquered a few small, but significant feats. They were personal feats that I wanted to accomplish, but didn't know when I'd be ready to take the plunge. You may have noticed in one of my earlier blogs this year how I mentioned that I had begun a new chapter of my dating life. Well, that was put on a break for a few months up until a few weeks ago. I had gone out and met a few guys a few months after my breakup, but it was still relatively tough for me to get back out there. The reason was that dating was and is still a very challenging task. Meeting new people has never been easy for me. Espe